Our Vision'

An Excellent Service

Our Mission

To develop public life by efficient, stable and well planned development process with community participation.


Area of Medirigiriya division that belongs to Polonnaruwa district is 576 sq kilometers. It has been divided to 45 Grama Niladhari divisions for administrative purposes.

Polonnaruwa was declared separate administrative entity in 1953. Accordingly, Medirigiriya division belonged to Western Sinhala Paththuwa administrative sector and it was divided into two Grama Niladhari Thulana namely 68 Rathmale and 69 Kelegama. Meegaswewa, Wadigawewa and other villages belongs to 69 Kelegama where as Divulankadawala, Rathmale and other villages belongs to 68 Rathmale Except these villages which was isolated in the thick forest, other areas had been covered by heavily de use forests. Medirigiriya had been known as Mediligiriya, Mandalagiriya, Ranthisawewa, thissawadimanaka etc in the past. Ancient Medirigiriya Watadage and Kaudulla tank had attracted peoples’ attention.
With the distribution of farming lands among people under the patronage of the existing gouerment, other villages emerged with more people. Owners of these lands were largely from Kothmale belonging Nuwaraeliya District. Besides people from various parts of the country settled in these areas. So culture of this area is a mixture of many different cultures belonging all four quarters of srilanka.

Medirigiriya was not a separate administrative entity in 1970 decade, and Gammuladeni thulan were further spreading . and later it was separated into small sectors. 68 Rathmale, separated as 68A Duvulankadawala, 68B Medirigiriya, 68C Kaudulla. 69 Kalegama was divided into small sectors namely Thalakolawewa Thulana, Meegaswewa Thulana, Vijayapura thulana and Diyasenpura Thulana

Medirigiriya Became separate administrative entity in 1983. Polonnaruwa District had been divided to five divisions for easy administrative purposes accordingly Medirigiriya division came into existence

Pradeshiya upa disapathi Kottasa was replaced by Pradeshiya lekam kottasa. Gammuladeni thulan was replaced by Grama niladhari kottasa in 1990 with gazette announcement. Grama Niladhari wasam in medirigiriya Pradeshiya Kottasa was amended again which resulted as Rathmale of Medirigiriya division belonged to Hingurakgoda Division. Veheragala and Sansungama which had belonged to hingurakgoda division and Palliyagodella whih had belonged to Thamankaduwa division were taken over by Medirigiriya division

Boundaries and GN divisions which were declared in 1990 can be seen even upto now

Muslim people live in Palliyagodella and Akbarpura GN divisions where as Sinhalese live in the rest of all other GN divisions. Weheragala and Sansungama were colonized with the people who owned lands under the Minneriya reservoir. Where ethnicity is concerned, Sinhalese and Muslims are the majority while they practice Buddhism, Islamic, Roman catholic and other Christian religions.

Rice is the major cultivation in Medirigiriya division, which is irrigated by large irrigation reservoirs such as Minneriya, Kaudulla and Ambagaswewa and as well as minor or medium reservoirs. In addition to this rice is cultivated in an area of 787 hectares with water received from rain falls. Rice is grown under two seasons named major and minor.rice is grown in between tow major seasons on a small scale around the flood plains of Mahaweliriver which receives water from fields canels.

"Historical Background"

The name Medirigiriya remind us about Medirigiriya Watadage, and Kaudulla reservoir which has something to do with. Ancient concept that goes with Wewa and Dageba.The cool breeze that blows from the land stretchof paddy land which seems endless, adds beauty and enchantment to Medirigiriyaarea. The Medirigiriya dates back upto pre historic era, which is proven by some bricks with Brahmin letters and guard stones of Watadage , Balustrades, Moonstone, sacred foot print of load Buddha which were found around in Medirigiriya area. It is unfortunate for not only Medirigiriya people but also Srilankans that these things were not recorded in our chronicles’.

Ancient Medirigiriya Watadage which belongs to Medirigiriya DS division in Polonnaruwa is one kilometer away from the town centre is situated in an enchanting environment. Medirigiriya Watadage which towers over the forest is considered to be the most beautiful Watadage in Sri Lanka. As aresult of it’s majestic steps, and stone columns which can’t be seen among other Watadages’.

Mahawansa records about Medirigiriya is initially found in king kanittatissa era. It is recorded that the king Kanittatissa built contributed a chapter house to a monastery which was already established here. It is mentioned in Mahawansa that a ruler called Malaraja who lived in the king Agrabodhis’ reign in seventh century built a house over this Dageba.it was discovered through excavations that this Dageba was built on a square compound.

It is assumed that the Stupa which can be seen today is the Watadageya which was built on a square compound built in 4th Agrabhodhi rein. It is stated that a village as a gift was contributed for this Watadage during theking 2nd Sena’s rule. Accordingly this place can be considered as pilgrim which was honoured by the people. This watadage demonstrate the higher skills of ancient Sinhalese architectures. It seems that this Watadage had been reconstructed by the king Wijayabahu and king Parackramabahu from time to time.

Existing unharmed moonstone, guard stone, balustrade and sacred foot proves that old that old Watadage had not been replaced.

The people who could not bear brutal ruling of Maga(1215-1236BC) escaped the area. It is during this period that temples, monasteries including Watadage had been destroyed.

With collapsingof kingdom this area was covered thick forest and Mr. H.C.P.Bell visited this ruins and photographed, then made and effort to reconstruct this Watadage area in 1897. This area was demarcated as place of archeological values, reserved for archeological purposes in 1934. An area of 500 acres was reserved in 1939 after being named as an archeological site. Excavating was started in around 1941. It is stated conservation was carried on continuously in spite of great difficulties. Mr. Senarath Paranavithana should be honoured for his valuable endeavor in bringing a complete image of Watadage after being conservated and handed it over to the nation

News & Events

Independence Day (Shramadana Campaign)

Independence Day (Shramadana Campaign)

Concurrent to the 71st Independence Day, a...

Scroll To Top